Welkom by Laerskool Buffeljagsrivier se Webblad
Die skooltjie het aanvanklik op die walle van die Buffeljagsrivier gestaan, toe die hoofpad nog die wapad tussen Heidelberg en Swellendam was. Met die eeuwenteling is dit egter in ‘n vloed weggespoel. ‘n Kerksaaltjie, wat tans die skoolsaal is, is deur die gemeenskap beskikbaar gestel en so is die huidige Laerskool Buffeljagsrivier begin.
Die saaltjie is met afskortings in klaskamers verdeel. Gedurende 1945 is ‘n aparte klaskamer vir die skoolhoof aangebou en in die vyftiger jare het die Onderwysdepartement nog twee klaskamers aangebou.
Welcome to Buffeljagsrivier Primary School's Website
According to our knowledge, this historic school is the oldest in our region and quite possibly in the Western Cape. Initially the school stood on the banks of the Buffeljagsriver but was eventually swept away during a flood. The community made the church hall available (which now serves as our school hall) and this is how the current Buffeljagsrivier Primary School was started.
For more than 12 years it served as the church hall of the NG Kerk Buffeljagsrivier. It was used among other things for fetes, concerts etc. The "Strewers" held debates here and the KJV's get togethers were attended by past members like Mr Chris & Ms Elsa Rheeder, Mr Christo & Ms Loula Franken and Mr Muller & Ms Nelia van As. In 1968 there was even a Chinese dinner held here. In fact the school hall was the heart and soul of the community's cultural and political scene.
The hall was then divided into "classrooms" and in 1945 a seperate classroom was built to house the principle of the school. During the 50's the Department of Education added another 2 classrooms.
At one stage the Department of Education wanted to tear the buidling down, but in true Buffeljags spirit, the necessary funds were collected and the hall was transformed into a proper school hall with a stage, kitchen and a projector room. Movies were screened in this school hall on Saturday nights and this was probably the closest many residents came to an actual cinema.
The rugbyfield of the school was a donation from Mr Herman Steyn who owned the farm bordering the school. The living quarters of the principle and teachers were also donated and built by the community.
Children had to travel long distances to get to the school. In the 40's and 50's some children even had to take a boat across the Breërivier to catch the "bus" to school.The school bus was in actual fact a small lorry driven by Mr Martiens van As and later by Mr Paul Muller. Mr Johannes Swart had to ride his bicycle to school every day from Bontebokskloof. Mr Eben Brandt traveled by bicycle from Swellendam to the school. Many children used to stay with the Steyn family, Mr Neels Franken and others, who lived in the vicinity of the school.
After all is said and done the unmistakable fact remains that God always provided. Everywhere rural schools are closing down but for 120 years (2016), Buffeljagsrivier Primary School has gone from strength to strength by the grace of God and the support of a community who loves it. May this exceptional school last another 120 years! According to the Education Department, the first reports received from Buffeljagsrivier Primary school, dates back to 1853, thus making us 161 years old. Soli Deo Gloria
Grid reference : S 34 02 42 E 20 31 41